Issues, procedures, and advocacy strategies regarding the promotion and protection of human rights worldwide
Subject of the class:
Students will study five different aspects of international human rights including:
- Procedures for implementing international human rights involving state reporting to treaty bodies; individual complaints; thematic, country rapporteurs, and other U.N. emergency procedures for dealing with gross violations; humanitarian intervention; criminal prosecution and procedures for compensating victims; diplomatic intervention; state v. state complaints; litigation in domestic courts;the work of nongovernmental organizations; etc.
- Major international institutions including the human rights treaty bodies; the U.N. Commission on Human Rights and its Sub- Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights; the U.N. Security Council; international criminal tribunals; the International Criminal Court; U.N. field operations authorized by the U.N. Security Council or under the authority of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights; the Inter-American Commission on and Court of Human Rights; the European Court of Human Rights and other parts of the European human rights system; the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees; and the International Labor Organization
- Human rights situations in various countries such as South Africa, Iran, Myanmar, East Timor, Kosovo, Cambodia, former Yugoslavia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Japan, the Unites States, Europe, Sudan, Ghana, and India
- Substantive human rights problems related to the rights of the child, economic rights, the right to development, torture and other illtreatment, minority rights, the right to a free and fair election, human rights in armed conflict, crimes against humanity, arbitrary killing, indigenous rights, self-determination, discrimination against women, the rights of refugees, etc.
- Learning methods such as advising a client, role-playing, the dialogue methods, drafting, and advocacy in litigation
One 90-minute class per week
Feedback: For your suggestions, please write to us.